Summer is here and who doesn’t want to look and feel their best? I’m going to breakdown my diet, non-negotiables & my everyday, go-to smoothie. This smoothie keeps me feeling my best, has healed my gut and keeps my body and skin looking better than it ever has.
Whenever I feel emotionally fragile, weak, insecure or unhappy, I always shift the focus to my diet, my physical strength and my wellness/health. By focusing on my diet, my physical strength and an intention of feeling balanced and energized, I not only let myself off the emotional hook, but the emotional strength that I’m seeking does eventually follow.
This happens because I’m no longer focusing on the “lack,” and the “uncontrollable” (we control more than we think).
Focusing and stressing about the lack in my life does nothing but a great job of keeping me in a state of fear-based paralysis where I feel hopeless, complain and get nothing done.
I get asked a lot about what my specific diet is and how I’ve stuck to it. While the foundation of what I eat and how I live my life is always balance and moderation, there are some things that have proven to be so beneficial, they are part of my everyday routine.
As far as my diet everyday goes, here are a few things that I don’t ever/rarely include in my diet:
- Gluten. I have Celiac Disease but even if I didn’t, I wouldn’t eat gluten. According to this website, there are numerous benefits to going gluten-free. I haven’t had gluten in over 10 years and although my reaction to it is allergic, this source contends that gluten is not only hard on the fragile lining of the gut, it’s also very difficult to digest. I used to look 6 months pregnant after having a 1/2 a bowl of Cheerios and now, I’m rarely bloated. I feel clearer; much more balanced and energized.
- Alcohol. Most alcohol has gluten in it so forget it. Plus, I’m just not a drinker. In fact, I don’t drink at all. I used to need alcohol to be social and feel like I had any shred of confidence. Seriously. I suffered from such social anxiety and the alcohol provided nothing but a quick fix that eventually caused even more anxiety than before. I just grew out of it. I have no problem with people who drink; most all of my friends and family socially drink. It just isn’t useful to me any longer.
- Sugar. I am mindful of my sugar intake. Does this mean that I never eat sugar? Not at all. I’m just conscious of it, that’s all. Balance is key.
- Caffeine. I’ll have one iced green tea every now and then but besides that, it’s lemon water and herbal teas.
- Anything that feeds Candida. Mainly, my diet at the very root, is anti-candida. Wtf is candida? Years ago I was
in a much different placef*cking miserable. My acne read “SOS” in braille, I was diagnosed with endometriosis (and told that I’d never be able to have kids), my periods were out of control (pain and regulatory wise), I was extremely touchy, insecure and had a constant feeling of doom. I’d get sick all the time and I would wake up feeling like someone had beaten me with a lead pipe all night. I even experienced brain fog and and the paranoia was crippling (along with profuse sweating when I’d get nervous), which was scary and embarrassing. After lots of failed prescriptions, I decided to go see a naturopath who enlightened me about the culprit: Candida. I had a systemic yeast infection in my gut. The lining of my gut had been compromised from years of a diet that was geared toward perforating it (leaky gut), and unmanaged stress. I also had no idea that our immune system is in our gut. The gnawing anxiety that I was feeling (especially after drinking alcohol, eating simple carbs or even going on a rollercoaster), was ALL related to the candida. When you have candida, you experience yeast and fungal overgrowth that manifests itself in symptoms of so many different ailments. This affects millions of people and is the hidden cause of many health conditions. 1 out of 3 people suffer from candida overgrowth. Some common symptoms of candida are: brain fog, acne, fatigue, weak immune system, asthma, anxiety, depression, hypothyroidism and the list goes on. Today, my mind and my skin are clear. I’m in the best shape of my life, the endometriosis is GONE, I have the reproductive system of someone years younger than me, my immune system is strong, I have tons of energy, my digestive system is at ease and that sense of doom is gone.
This smoothie is part of my diet every day.
Not only does it keep your skin clear, it also single-handedly SLAYS candida, keeps your body healthy, keeps you FULL (without bloat), nourished and it also helps move things along if you know what I mean. You will feel a difference in a week.
+ If you suffer from acid reflux, put a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in there too.
I do love a good cold pressed green juice but for me, the Vitamix is the best. It truly is the Rolls Royce of blenders. I like the Vitamix because you get all the benefits of juicing plus the fiber that juicing leaves out. Any blender works great too.
This smoothie counts for 1-2 of the meals in my diet per day and it’s also super easy to store and keep in the fridge/swell bottle for a few hours.
ingredients (this makes 2 mason jars)
+ buy all organic and GMO-free if available
Organic Almond Milk (unsweetened). I’d start with filling the blender about 2 inches (see above photo). You can always add more almond milk if the smoothie is too thick.
1 frozen banana (I like peeling and breaking apart bananas then putting them into zip-lock bags and freezing them). Frozen bananas work way better than ice. They also help keep your blender around longer because they aren’t as hard as ice.
1 washed apple cut into pieces. Crispy and cold Pink Lady apples are my favs.
1 handful of organic spinach. I just buy a big box of the ready-to-go organic spinach. Easy.
1/2 of a bunch of organic Parsley.
1 inch of fresh turmeric root, peeled.
1 inch of fresh ginger root, peeled.
Your mind & body will thank you.